Malta – World War 2. First visit to maltagc70? CLICK HERE
Get daily updates direct to your computer – sign up to follow maltagc70 (see R)
FIRST SUSPECTED DELAYED ACTION BOMB TACKLED BY RAOC
Kalafrana was put out of use for almost 24 hours due to the presence of a suspected time bomb close to the slipway. The unexploded bomb estimated as weighing 700lbs was reported following yesterday’s dive-bombing raid. The RAF inspected the bomb and suspected the fuze to be a delayed-action type. They called on RAOC officers Captain R L Jephson Jones and Lt W M Eastman to assist in the investigation of the bomb, which was lying on the surface. The fuze was found to carry the markings of the Rheinmettal Electric type.
Without further information on the type of fuze it was decided as a precaution to blow up the bomb immediately where it lay. The resulting crater was 12 feet deep and 25 feet in diameter. Later investigation confirmed the bomb as a German 500kg SD ‘Spreng Dickenwand’ bomb – is a thick-walled armour-piercing type.
MESSAGE FROM MALTA FOR GENERAL DE GAULLE
French officer Commandant Robert arrived today and sent a message via Malta’s Governor to General de Gaulle. The telegram was delivered to de Gaulle’s base in Whitehall, known as the ‘Spears Mission’.
- “Arrived Malta September 6th. Leave for Tunis about September 10th. Hope to rally civil and military elements. Request your instructions.
- But I call your attention to the possible consequences [of a] National Rallying Movement in Tunis which might cause Italian reactions. It is therefore necessary to foresee possible support by the British Fleet or Air Force, if requested, should the means of defence in Tunis be insufficient.
- I shall keep in touch with the Governor of Malta who will inform you of the progress of the situation and will transmit your instructions to me.
- I repeat that it would be advisable to undertake simultaneously propaganda in Algeria and Morocco for which task I may possibly ask you to send Commandant Des Essars to Tangiers if necessary to act quickly.
- I hope for a National Rallying Movement in Syria shortly.”
Commandant Robert later added that propaganda broadcast by Cairo Radio to Muslim communities in North Africa should be directed against Germany and Italy, and not be obviously in favour of the British.
AIR RAIDS DAWN 6 SEPTEMBER TO DAWN 7 SEPTEMBER 1940
0939-0954 hrs; 1000-1023 hrs Air raid alerts; approaching aircraft are identified as friendly.
1019 hrs One Glen Martin bomber aircraft lands at Luqa.
OPERATIONS REPORTS FRIDAY 6 SEPTEMBER 1940
AIR HQ Arrivals Glen Martin.
ROYAL NAVY Fermoy and Fellowship made an unsuccessful attempt to cut the Syracuse-Tripoli cable.
FORTRESS ROYAL ENGINEERS Practice ‘Man Marsa’ out to various posts.
3rd Bn KINGS OWN MALTA REGIMENT One recruit enlisted.
ROYAL ARMY ORDNANCE CORPS Bomb Disposal UXB High explosive 1 estimated 700lb delayed action blown in situ Kalafrana.
All written content © maltagc70 unless otherwise attributed. For conditions of use contact firstname.lastname@example.org