RSS

24 June 1940: Italian Pilots’ Morale Low

24 Jun

Malta – World War 2. First visit to maltagc70? CLICK HERE   

Get daily updates direct to your computer – sign up to follow maltagc70 (see R)

CAPTURED AIRMAN REVEALS LOW MORALE IN REGIA AERONAUTICA

Italian 500lb bombs (NWMA Malta)

Italian 500lb bombs (NWMA Malta)

Three captured Italian airmen were interrogated today, providing useful intelligence for the War Office, although as junior officers their knowledge was not extensive.  They provided no information on German forces or parachute troops in Sicily.  The airmen revealed that bombs up to 500lbs were earmarked for use against Malta, but all agreed that strict orders had been issued against bombing non-military objectives, in Malta as well as other theatres. 

Two of the airmen, from Naples and Ancona on the Italian mainland, were somewhat reticent in their responses and appeared devoted to the fascist cause.  They believed the reasons for Italy’s entry to the war were her admiration for Germany and the necessity of increasing the Italian empire and domination of the Mediterranean.

The third airman, a Sicilian, is said to have spoken freely yesterday during an unofficial interview.    He is reported to have said that the hearts of Italian air crews are not really into their mission over Malta.  He claimed that in briefings he was told “nothing ever happens over Malta”.  The 21 year old also said that he had not eaten for two days, and allegedly added that he cared little what happened to the Italian Army.  His comments support the general belief that it is unusual for Sicilians to be allowed on active service, due to the Island’s lack of enthusiasm for the war. 

AIR RAIDS DAWN 24 JUNE TO DAWN 25 JUNE 1940

2140 hrs  A defence post of 2nd Bn Royal West Kent Regiment reports signalling in the form of red and white flashes from the west of Verdala Palace.

OPERATIONS REPORTS MONDAY 24 JUNE 1940

KALAFRANA  AC Rizzo transferred to Military Hospital, Imtarfa; L/Cpl Mfsud to ADS.

8th Bn MANCHESTER REGIMENT  Personnel at Ghain Tuffieha camp are engaged on digging slit trenches for the protection of personnel during air raids.  As from today passes will once more be granted to troops to go to Valletta on their afternoon off.

All written content © maltagc70 unless otherwise attributed.  For conditions of use contact bdmalta@btinternet.com

Advertisements
 
Leave a comment

Posted by on June 24, 2015 in Uncategorized

 

Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: